Me & Photography
I have been working as a professional photographer since 1987, having completed the NCTJ photojournalism course in Sheffield, UK, and passed exams with credits and distinctions. I have always pitched myself as an all-rounder, happy to take on any assignment under any pressure in any location. I have maintained that stance even today when it is far more common to be a ‘specialist’ and concentrate on shooting one thing.
To that end, you will find me equally at home shooting in a conflict zone as you would having five minutes with an ‘A-list’ celebrity or working a major sporting event.
Awards & Nominations
Throughout my career, I have been privileged to undertake all of these assignments and lucky to be acknowledged for some of my work over the years.
- 2013. Jury Selected by The British Press Photographers Association for The Press Photographers Year. Olympic Singles.
- 2012. UK Picture Editors’ Guild Awards. Best Olympic Photo Essay. Finalist.
- 2012. Decorated with The Order of Malta’s Merito Melitense medal for the book produced for them.
- 2004. UK Picture Editors’ Guild Awards. Best Black and White picture of the Year. Iraq. Nomination.
- 1999. Australian Press Photographer of the Year Awards. ‘Best Series’. Winner.
- 1999. Australian Press Photographer of the Year Awards. ‘Best Picture Story’. Nomination.
- 1995. The John Van Loendersloot memorial awards. Australia. Best Sports Picture. Winner.
- 1994. Walkley Awards Australia. Best team coverage of a news story. The Backpacker Murders. Nomination.
- 1994. Australian Suburban Newspaper Awards. (ASNA’s) Australia. Best Portrait. Nomination.